In the early 70’s, the inaugural ergonomic office chair was introduced to the world.
At that time, NASA scientists closely observed astronauts aboard the Skylab Space Station. These astronauts consistently adopted neutral body postures while at rest. During these observations, scientists made a significant discovery: these particular postures were remarkably effective at relieving musculoskeletal tension, consequently reducing spinal pressure.
The original ergonomic office chair was founded on three fundamental ergonomic principles:
- Lumbar Supportive Recline: This innovative chair featured a reclining mechanism that allowed users to tilt back between 90 and 130 degrees while maintaining proper lumbar support. This design proved to exert the least amount of pressure on the spinal discs.
- Adjustable Arm Support: The chair was equipped with armrests that could be customized to suit each user’s specific needs. This adaptability alleviated strain on the neck and shoulders, further reducing pressure on the spinal discs.
- Seated Movement: The ergonomic chair encouraged seated movement by allowing users to change positions easily. This frequent movement helped engage muscles and improve circulation, effectively countering the adverse effects of prolonged sitting periods.
Table of Contents
In 2006, the world witnessed the debut of the first gaming chairs. Amidst the vibrant backdrop of Michigan’s landscape as the new century dawned, a budding company emerged, specializing in crafting sumptuous racecar-style seats. Their arrival coincided with the tragic events of the 9/11 terrorist attacks and the subsequent economic turmoil.
Despite having an abundance of chairs, there were few takers due to the automotive industry’s dire state. However, an unexpected twist of fate played in their favor.
The company in question was DXRacer, and their focus was on the burgeoning world of video games.
Esports and the emergence of streaming platforms took center stage, and traditional chairs proved ill-suited for extended gaming sessions. Gamers found themselves torn between their passion and their physical well-being. In response to this need, DXRacer introduced the world’s inaugural gaming chair in 2006, akin to a guardian angel. These ergonomic racecar seats offered comfort and support, ushering in the era of racing-style gaming chairs, a design that would serve as a blueprint for future endeavors. Fast forward twenty-one years, the neutral posture technique was translated into an ergonomic office chair. Early esports athletes required the same level of ergonomic support as their corporate counterparts but with a more relaxed vibe. Enter the world’s first racing-style gaming chair.
The 2010s witnessed the rapid growth of esports and professional gaming, and gaming chairs became an integral part of the competitive gaming environment. Esports organizations and professional gamers endorsed specific gaming chair brands, solidifying their status as essential equipment for serious gamers.
The ergonomic features of gaming chairs, such as adjustable armrests, lumbar support, and headrest pillows, were particularly appealing to professional gamers who spent long hours training and competing. These chairs not only provided comfort but also contributed to improved performance and focus.
In the year 2012, the Furniture Manufacturer commenced the production of gaming chairs.
Gaming chairs initially piqued the interest of furniture manufacturers as a captivating novelty. However, they soon realized that producing gaming chairs could inject much-needed diversity into their furniture offerings.
While the United States, Germany, the United Kingdom, and Sweden boast some of the world’s largest and most renowned furniture companies, Chinese furniture businesses took the first steps in attempting to emulate the success of DXRacer and AKRacing.
The initial attempts at imitation fell short in many ways. While these chairs may have resembled DXRacer’s designs, they opted for subpar materials like low-density foam and inexpensive plywood, lacking the quality steel framework.
As of 2013, gaming chairs with built-in speakers were already available from major brands.
Gaming chairs represented an advancement in how gamers could sit comfortably, prompting inquiries about their comfort level, impact on a player’s concentration, and overall value.
In contrast, GTRacing didn’t merely replicate a gaming chair; it elevated the experience by adding a musical dimension. Following in the footsteps of Homall’s creators and adopting the DXRacer blueprint, GTRacing managed to strike a balance between cost-effectiveness and a pleasurable gaming experience.
GTRacing introduced a chair that surpassed Homall in comfort, undercut DXRacer in price, and featured a distinctive attribute: built-in speakers.
In recent years, gaming chairs have continued to evolve and diversify. The market has expanded to include a wide range of styles, sizes, and features to cater to the diverse preferences of gamers. Some notable developments in the modern era of gaming chairs include:
Diverse Product Range
Gaming chairs now come in various designs, from racing-style seats to more traditional office chair designs. Users can choose chairs that match their gaming setup and personal style.
Many gaming chairs now come with advanced features like built-in speakers, RGB lighting, reclining mechanisms, and even massaging functions. These features enhance the overall gaming experience.
Gamers can often customize their gaming chairs by choosing different upholstery materials, color options, and accessories to suit their preferences.
Gaming chair manufacturers have recognized the importance of inclusivity by offering chairs designed for a wide range of body types and sizes.
Best Gaming Chairs Brands in 2023
Here are some of the best-known gaming chair brands:
- Secretlab: Secretlab is renowned for its premium gaming chairs, which are known for their comfort, durability, and style. They offer a range of models suitable for different body types and preferences. (Our Secretlab Gaming Chairs Reviews)
- DXRacer: DXRacer is one of the pioneers in the gaming chair industry. They are known for their ergonomic designs, high-quality materials, and a wide variety of chair options.
(Our DXRacer Gaming Chairs Reviews)
- AKRacing: AKRacing is another established brand that produces gaming chairs with ergonomic features and durable construction. They offer a range of sizes and styles to choose from.
(Our AKRacing Gaming Chairs Reviews)
- noblechairs: Noblechairs is known for its luxurious and well-crafted gaming chairs. They focus on using premium materials, including real leather, to provide comfort and style.
(Our Noblechairs Gaming Chairs Reviews)
- Respawn: Respawn offers a range of gaming chairs that cater to both comfort and affordability. They have a variety of designs and features suitable for different preferences.
- Vertagear: Vertagear is recognized for its ergonomic designs and premium build quality. They offer a range of models suitable for gaming, office use, and other applications.
(Our Vertagear Gaming Chairs Reviews)
- Corsair: Corsair, a well-known gaming hardware manufacturer, also produces gaming chairs. Their chairs are designed for comfort and are often compatible with their gaming peripherals.
- Homall: Homall offers budget-friendly gaming chairs that provide good value for money. They are known for their affordability without compromising too much on comfort and quality.
Gaming Chairs Future
As gaming continues to grow as a global entertainment phenomenon, the future of gaming chairs looks promising. Manufacturers are likely to focus on enhancing comfort, ergonomics, and innovative features to meet the evolving needs of gamers. With the ongoing expansion of virtual reality (VR) gaming and esports, gaming chairs may evolve to offer even more immersive experiences.
In conclusion, the history of gaming chairs is a testament to the enduring evolution of gaming culture. From their modest origins to their present-day prominence, gaming chairs have journeyed alongside gamers, offering them comfort, support, and an integral part of the gaming experience. As the gaming landscape continues to evolve, so too will gaming chairs, ensuring that gamers around the world can game comfortably and immerse themselves fully in their virtual worlds.