New year, new gaming chair! Introducing the Secretlab Titan EVO Series 2022, the brand’s new generation of gaming chairs!
This new gaming chair is an improvement on the previous version and offers a number of new features including magnets. But isn’t it said that novelty doesn’t always equal innovation?
Let’s find out which gaming chair to choose: the Secretlab Titan EVO Series 2022 or Titan 2020!
Technical characteristics of Secretlab chairs
First, I am going to compare the two models on a technical level. In the table below, I have listed the different elements: there are minor differences but, as you will see, but they are not focus of the new features introduced by the ‘Evo’ series.
PS: as you can see from the pictures, the upholstery of each chair is not the same: the 2022 version is made of Neo hybrid leatherette whilst ‘my’ chair is made of Softweave Fabric.
|Secretlab Titan 2020||Secretlab Titan Evo 2022|
|Weight||77 lb (35 kg)||76.1 lb (34.5 kg)|
|Adjustable height||From 18’7 to 22’4 (47.5 to 57 cm)||From 16’5 to 20’5 (42 to 52 cm)|
|Seat width||20.5’ (52 cm)||20.5’ (56 cm)|
|Recommended height||175 – 200 cm (5’9” – 6’7”)||170 – 189 cm (5’9” – 6’7”)|
|Base||286 lb (130 kg)||286 lb (130 kg)|
|Armrests||Metal, 5 wheels||Metal, 5 wheels|
|Hydraulics||Up to 165°||Up to 165°|
|Integrated lumbar cushion||Class IV||Class IV|
|From||Check Price on Secretlab.co (affiliate link)||Check Price on Secretlab.co (affiliate link)|
If you want to know more about each model, I invite you to read the Secretlab Titan EVO Series 2022 review as well as the Secretlab Titan 2020 review by Carl.
Secretlab Titan 2020 vs Titan EVO 2022: Same old, same old?
First of all, I want to recap what the two models have in common. The manufacturer was right to keep a number of elements, as the Titan gaming chair has won numerous awards and is considered one of the best on the market (if not THE best!)
Check out at the features below:
- Recline: the chair goes back to 165° thanks to the help of the multi-tilt mechanism, which I’m about to talk about below. Even with the recline at maximum, the chair is still stable, and I never felt myself slipping backwards.
- Multi-tilt mechanism (rocking chair): if you like to rock on your seat, you won’t be disappointed! Secretlab Titan’s multi-tilt is indeed generous, and it can be locked in any position. You can put it as far back as possible, lock it and sit cross-legged so you can feel like you’re sitting on a cloud!
- 4D armrests: I’ve already talked about this feature when reviewing the previous versions but basically the armrests are an undeniable asset. This is all the more true since, quite often, even high-end models can be disappointing in this regard. Here, the armrests can be adjusted from left to right (rotated), inwards or outwards, up and down and forwards and backwards. The adjustments are all made using ‘locking’ buttons, which prevents the armrests from accidentally coming out of adjustment. The sliding system is smooth – nothing like the stuttering of hard plastic! Finally, the padding is excellent and provides comfortable support for the arms. Secretlab did add a little innovation with the Evo Series 2022: magnetic elements; I will detail this feature below, in the ‘innovations’ section.
- Integrated lumbar cushion: the lumbar cushion on the backrest has become a classic feature of the Titan model. You feel like you’re sitting in a luxury car! The Evo model has more adjustability.
- Memory foam head cushion: this type of foam is excellent because it enables the cushion to adapt to the shape of your neck and head. This personalisation allows for excellent support. There is an additional new feature here: the use of magnetic elements; but I will come back to this below in the relevant section.
- The base: it has 5 legs, which gives the chair a much better stability than with 4 legs. The choice of aluminium seems obvious in this price range, but it is above all a guarantee of durability and it’s pleasing to the eye!
In practical terms, much of the original structure remains. However, it has some interesting improvements and well thought out innovations. Let’s review these new features!
The advantages of the Secretlab Titan EVO 2022 over the Titan 2020: improving previous models
First, I will explain how the manufacturer has improved the structure and then I will detail some of the features.
The redesign of the seat base and of the backrest
First of all, the seat is wider, which allows you to get comfortable in any position you might like. This makes sitting cross-legged even more comfortable, which was already very good on the 2020 version. The backrest has also been improved to tuck into the curve of your back and therefore provide better support.
The integrated lumbar cushion is even more user adjustable.
As I said above, the back cushion is not a new feature but Secretlab has managed to do better with the EVO series. Previously, you could ‘only’ adjust the curvature so that the lumbar cushion would adapt to your spine. Now you can also adjust the ‘position’, which is the height of the cushion. So, depending on your size and where you want the support to be, you can create your custom setting for the best comfort for you.
The Hybrid Leatherette: more authenticity?
We know how PU (synthetic leather) can be disappointing and how it tends to break down after a few months and lasts 1 or 2 years maximum. Secretlab knows this too, and that’s why they developed a new durable upholstery material: the Neo Hybrid Leatherette. The company states that its ‘in-house’ synthetic leather has been designed with durability in mind and is therefore 12 times more durable than conventional PU leather. It will therefore be able to keep for many years to come.
In addition to the constantly improved strength, the upholstery also has a more pleasant feel. The manufacturer has indeed taken pride into making the touch feel closer to NAPA leather (aka real leather), for more authenticity.
Secretlab has also reworked the Softweave fabric upholstery and created a new version, SoftWeave Plus Fabric. It is also more resistant and more breathable, but I didn’t have the opportunity to test it, so I won’t elaborate on it.
The advantages of the Secretlab Titan EVO 2022 over the Titan 2020
Now I’m going to talk about the new features introduced with the 2022 model.
A gaming chair for everyone: three sizes for all builds
The 2020 was first available in one size. Later on, due to the success of the model, a new ‘XL’ version was created featuring an even wider seat. Secretlab wanted to do the right thing straight away and released the Evo series in 3 different sizes. Below are the measurements as well as the user recommended size and weight:
- Small: between 4’11” and 5’6” (150 and 169 cm), up to 200 lbs (90 kg)
- Regular: between 5’7” and 6’2” (170 and 189 cm), up to 220 lbs (100 kg). Theoretical weight supported: 286 lbs (130 kg)
- XL: between 5’11” and 6’9” (181 and 205 cm), up to 395 lbs (180 kg)
It should also be noted that the gas cylinder has been redesigned for ‘Small’ and ‘Regular’ sizes. It is less high to make resting your feet flat easier.
Magnetic elements: a real innovation of Secretlab Titan Evo 2022
Indeed, it’s hard to miss this new feature as it was heavily promoted by the brand. I was first introduced to this feature during my Secretlab Magnus desk review. It wasn’t just a gimmicky addition: you can install different covers, remove a hatch, or install cable clips.
This same concept of practicality through magnets is made good use of in the Secretlab Titan Evo 2022 Gaming Chair. Indeed, embedded magnets are used several times including in the head cushion.
The strap is gone: a magnetic plate is now used to keep the pillow into place. It’s quite interesting in terms of adjustments, as you can position the cushion easily. However, I wish the magnet was stronger. Indeed, the cushion falls out of place easily when you move your head, and it even tends to come off when you shift the recliner to its original position.
Magnets are also used in the upholstery and the 4D armrests. Regarding the upholstery, it’s an interesting feature as the embedded magnets allow for better aesthetics, and they are also very easy to install. As for the 4D magnetic armrests, I’m less convinced of the usefulness of magnets. Maybe it helps with maintenance or to replace the armrests easily in case of a defect for example, but I don’t quite understand the idea.
In short, I liked this innovation, first from a design point of view (the gaming chair has a more futuristic look), and also on a practical level. However, it can be improved – in a future version, surely – to be more relevant and efficient.
NFC tag (anti-counterfeiting)
I’m not sure what the reason behind this new feature is: Has Secretlab come across any forgeries? Or is it simply a way to give a little more prestige and ‘luxury’ to its model? Maybe a mix of both.
In any case, you can indeed find an NFC tag on the back of the chair. By scanning it with your phone, you can ensure the authenticity of the product. And don’t worry: the tag is both discreet and aesthetically pleasing enough not to spoil the design of the chair.
Verdict: should you buy the Secretlab Titan Neo 2022 or the Titan 2020?
I appreciate the manufacturer’s mindset behind this new version: it shows that they are constantly looking to improve. Among my favourite upgrades is the reworked integrated lumbar cushion, which provides an even more personalized comfort.
Secretlab is also in a permanent process of innovation, and the most obvious here is certainly the magnetic elements. Far from being insignificant, they can, however, be improved, for example for the head cushion.
However, the overall increase in the quality of the chair makes it my new favourite. Unless you’re on a tight budget (you can expect a difference of about $50 between the two models), I recommend you to go for the Secretlab Titan Neo Series 2022 gaming chair!